FREE - Download Sequence eBook!
15 Jan 2009

All Ministers on Salary at Church Must Get a W-2 by January 31st

Raul Rivera

Should the Pastor Get a W-2 or 1099-Misc?

Some churches give their pastors and other ministers a 1099-Misc each year for their taxes.  This is not correct.  A pastor must be given a W-2.

Under the latest treasury regulations, a pastor is described as an employee for federal income tax purposes but as self employed for social security tax purposes.  What many pastor's often fail to consider is that when one files a 1040 tax return they are paying two types of taxes.  They pay Federal Income Tax and Self Employment Tax.  That makes the minister a hybrid of the tax code.  Section 6051 requires the issuance of a W-2.  However, because Section 3401 describes him/her as self employed, the church is not allowed to withhold Federal Income Tax, FICA or Medicare taxes.  That means that the minister's W-2 will also look very different. 

There is a reason why the IRS demands a W-2.  It is because under a W-2, the minister is not allowed to deduct business expenses on the Federal Income Tax portion of his/her liability except under the limiting reporting of Form 2106.  If the minister get's a 1099-Misc, he/she usually deducts 100% of his/her expenses under Schedule C and gets a lower Federal Income Tax bill.  Though many ministers do it this way, their chances of getting audited are higher and usually result in payment of back taxes plus penalties.

Please feel free to comment. We always appreciate good dialogue. However, we do moderate each comment to ensure that it is on topic and not derogatory to other participants. We ask that you keep your comments brief and pertinent to the topic so that others may benefit.

Raul Rivera

comments powered by Disqus

Sign up for our Newsletter

And receive our free eBook Sequence: A step-by-step guide to successfully launching your church.

About the Author

Church Planter. Speaker. Author. CEO. Raul Rivera has had ample experience in the church planting world. His current venture, StartCHURCH, has helped 1000's of churches to start right. Raul has compiled an array of manuals and software tools that help churches stay compliant with the IRS. He also hosts over 35 national conferences per year, training pastors on how to launch their churches. Raul is married to his wife Genel, and they and their five children live in Atlanta, GA.